Sunday, 12 August 2012

Rock cakes.

Recipe from "1000 recipe cookbook" by Isabelle Barrat and Jane Harrop.
  These are great. They don't last long-they turn to rock obviously. But day one hot and day two with a cup of tea. These worked fantastically and aren't too sweet. Everything in them is in the cupboard! Whip them up on a lazy wekend afternoon or as gifts to take with you to a book group etc.
I weigh things out and leave them in seperate bowls with the butter coming to room temp until I have time to mix them together to throw in the oven. Really small quantities of ingredients too.

You can have a batch of cakes (15-18) in less than an hour.


225g self raising flour
50g sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (we think half would be better)
75g butter (room temp is better for quick mixing)
75g sultanas or raisins (whatever needs using up)
25g chopped mixed peel
1 egg beaten
60 ml/4tbsp milk
caster sugar to sprinkle.

equipment...measuring spoons,scales,big bowl,pan,rack,fork,jug,knife


  • Sift the salt,flour,cinnamon and sugar into a bowl and rub in the butter till it all looks like bread crumbs. 
  • Mix in the fruit and add the liquids. (I do all the mixing with my hand)
  • Drop tablespoons of batter well apart on a greased baking sheet (I used a smooth based grill pan) sprinkle with caster sugar and bake in a pre heated oven 190c/375f for 15-20 minutes (15 was perfect in my oven) 
  •  Cool on a rack (I use a grill pan rack) and eat some while warm. Put in an air tight container as soon as they are cool but don't leave them too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment